Do you want to cut your grocery bill in half? Learn how to easily save 50% AND MORE! Sign up for one of my workshops or order the book and see for yourself.

Monday, April 5, 2010

MILITARY CARE PACKAGES


Nonperishable items are a welcome treat for our overseas military personnel. The most economical way to mail is via the Postal Service's Large Flat Rate Box. The sturdy box is free and the postage is discounted $2.00 when sent to an APO/FPO/DPO address. The large flat rate is normally $14.50, but will cost only $12.50 in these circumstances.

I recently mailed this box to a wonderful man who is far from his wife, family and home. I love using my coupon skills to share with others. Incidentally, I paid only $1.49 for everything.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for this post!
My fiance is in the military, and we have been through two deployments, so I have sent a LOT of mail to him! However, I have never used the APO flat rate boxes, because most of the time it is cheaper NOT to use them. It only saves you money, even with the discount, unless you are shipping something really heavy. Last year I only paid over 12.50 for shipping twice - once with a box over 9 pounds, and once for a box over 17 pounds.
So, the flat rate boxes can save you a lot, depending on what you're mailing, but you have to be careful. Most of my care packages are between $8 and $11.

art of frugality said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the good info! I first utilized the Postal Service's Flat Rate Boxes to overseas military that would have otherwise cost $42 in postage. My typical boxes are heavy, since I attempt to fit as much as possible in each one.

Individual circumstances may vary, of course, so everyone should assess what is most cost effective.

Thanks for visiting my site and to your fiancee for his service!!

~Wendi Meredith