Do you want to cut your grocery bill in half? Learn how to easily save 50% AND MORE! Sign up for one of my workshops or order the book and see for yourself.

Monday, December 8, 2008

SAFE CANNING INSTRUCTIONS


I made reference to this subject in my book when I shared my friend's apple butter recipe. It is included in the 'Frugal Gifts From Your Kitchen' section. Safely preserving this wonderful treat is simple:
  • place clean jars in a COLD oven

  • select the lowest setting (150-200 degrees) and allow the jars to heat thoroughly, approximately 15-20 minutes

  • using a wet paper towel, wipe the filled jar's rim clean

  • meanwhile, pour boiling water over the canning lids

  • using a canning lid lifter (or tongs), place lid on hot jar

  • carefully secure the canning ring

  • when the lid seals, it makes a popping sound....this may take up to an hour

  • allow your homemade goodie to cool

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS METHOD IS *NOT* FOR CANNING VEGETABLES, MEATS, ETC.

No comments: